Sir Henry Doulton character jug modeled by William K. Harper and produced by Royal Doulton of Burslem, England, in a 1997 limited edition of 1,997 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Henry Doulton's death. One of the greatest Victorian entrepreneurs, Henry Doulton (1820-1897), achieved outstanding success for the pottery founded by his father, John Doulton. Henry entered his father's business at the age of fifteen where he quickly learned all aspects of the trade and was soon helping to run the pottery. A man of vision, Henry instigated the manufacture of ceramic drainpipes just as the sanitary revolution hit London. The development of the art studio, made Doulton the leading producer of art wares of the age, and in 1877 he acquired a second factory in Burslem, Staffordshire. He was the first potter to be awarded the prestigious Albert Medal of the Society of Arts, and two years later Queen Victoria knighted him for his services to the ceramic industry. Henry's developments led to the award of the Royal warrant to the company in 1901, but sadly he died four years before it was bestowed. A Lambeth vase on a pedestal forms the left handle of the jug and Hannah Barlow with a rabbit form the right.