Squire toby jug in a Kingsware finish with a silver rim designed by Charles J. Noke and produced by Royal Doulton of Burslem, England, from 1910 to 1917. In medieval times, a squire was a young nobleman who was attendant on a knight or served the nobility in their castle for a specified period of time. A squire was also an English country landowner as depicted in this popular toby jug. This jug's design is a modification from Harry Simeon's stoneware Standing Man toby jug., which in turn had its roots in the 19th century standing man tobies of various makers and the 18th century Bottle and Goblet Toby designs of early potters. This jug was originally issued in Kingsware, a distinctive treacle-brown glaze developed by Charles J. Noke in the early 1900s and used primarily for whiskey flasks.
1910 - 1917