Old Tom Morris toby jug produced by Griselda Hill Pottery of Fife, Scotland, in a limited edition of 500 circa 1990. Thomas Mitchell Morris (1821 - 1908), otherwise known as Old Tom Morris, and The Grand Old Man of Golf, was a Scottish golfer. He was born in St Andrews, Fife, the "home of golf" and location of the St Andrews Links and died there as well. He started caddying and playing golf from a young age, and formally was hired as an apprentice at age 14 to Allan Robertson at St. Andrews Links. Morris served four years as apprentice and a further five years as journeyman under Robertson until 1848. After Robertsons's death, Morris was sought out by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, which formally passed a motion in 1864 calling for his rehiring. Morris returned to St Andrews in 1864 to take charge of the links, as Keeper of the Green and its golf professional. He stayed in the post until 1903, a total of 39 years.
Griselda Hill Pottery